In my Contemporary Biology class we are assigned to read certain chapters out of Matt Ridley's book Genome:The Autobiography of a Species in 23 Chapters. The book is extremely interesting and informative, I suggest it to anyone who wants to know more about biology in a more relaxed way. Some of Ridley's chapters, however, are just a bummer. On Monday we were assigned to read the chapter entitled "Death."
In short, the chapter- no the entire book- is about death, everybody dies and our cells are constantly dying. I am becoming more of the mind that thinks- "why worry about it?" Why worry about what is going to kill us? It could be a car, it could be a disease, it could be anything. People worry and worry about how and when they are going to die, which is ridiculous. When people close to you die, it is devastating- I get that. It happens.
I'm not trying to be unsympathetic. Death is scary. The stress of worry about diseases and things is just too much to bear. I'm trying to say that people should just worry about what they are doing in the present time, not what will happen in the future. Don't nit pick you're health and say: What cancer does this food product cause? Nit pick your health and say: Will this make me feel good?
On that note, I will never be a scientist. It is far to much to think about. Especially on the cellular level. It ruins all the mystery.
On the same note though we should maybe still be conscious about what speeds up death, i.e. cigarrets, drinking etc., as life is so good and seriously too precious to throw away. I want to be around as long as possible to enjoy as much of it as possible.
ReplyDeletep.s. I can't spell...
ReplyDelete