So, I've had a series of events that make me believe I was always supposed to belong to an Amish community, or in the 19th century. Seemingly, technology either hates me, or God is smiting me for my sins by destroying all my most expensive belongings.
When I was in Worcester (Wooostah) my camera broke. I loved my camera, it is a Nikon Coolpix (pink) and I got it as a gift for my Christmas last year (Santa was good to me). I carried it with my every where and took great joy in snapping candid pictures of people; these pictures will one day serve as a photo journal of my life. But that journal will abruptly end once archeologists find my ruins, leading historians to believe I died a quick and sudden death at a youthful 18 years of age. This is because my camera broke, and it didn't just break- it spontaneously combusted- I didn't even do anything to it, I just gave it too much love I guess. Amish people, as many of you well know, are a pious bunch who don't use modern technology. If I were Amish, I would never have had a camera to begin with and therefore would have spend my time writing my memoirs in a novel type format, rather than using a fancy digital camera with the tendency to spontaneously combust.
My car is a much more worrying piece of technology that is a magnet for criminal activity and is starting to fall appart at it's meager age of 12. Now, don't get me wrong, I love my car possibly more than I loved my camera. It's a cute '98 VW Jetta, and I pimped it out with two German flags that are like socks covering my side mirrors. Unfortunately, it got broken into this week. It no longer has a radio (adding to it's ghettofabulous persona) and the window was completely smashed in the process. My front passenger window lost it's ability to move up from the down position quite a while ago BUT after the new glass was installed in my driver side window, the mechanic informed me, in broken English, that the window could not be put down anymore (for fear that it would not come back up). I don't know why the criminal who stole my radio so maliciously did not decide to steal the whole car. It would have relieved me of a burden that Amish will never have to experience.
I am not computer savy. I can use a computer, but somehow, no matter how good the computer, it always works a little bit slower for me. Maybe it's just my impatient personality, but honestly, computers are not my forte. Ask Kevin, Skype just does not work for me. More than my inability to work skype- my internet is SO SLOW, and it doesn't even matter where I am getting the wireless internet from, it is just always slow! I think I need to take a computer course or something... OR I could be AMISH and never have this burden my mind again!!
So my solution: I am going to drop out of University and become Amish. I think Kevin and I would enjoy the quaint Amish life, producing hand crafted rocking chairs and wasting away on our porch swipping tea and reading the bible. He didn't seem really enthusiastic about the idea when I first introduced it, but I think in time it will grow on him, because- let's be honest- who doesn't want to travel back in time and produce offspring with extra fingers?
Err, I think that particular '98 VW Jetta was built by the Amish ..... :-)
ReplyDelete